Welcome to CONNECT
Connect Financial Service Brokers is Australia’s leading business broker who specialises in the sales, acquisitions and mergers of financial planning, accounting and risk insurance businesses. Connect provides advisory services for the financial services industry in the following areas:
- Succession planning
- Business growth strategies
- Specific projects
- Business valuations
- Recruitment services
- Business financing
- Expert witness
We work closely with our clients on their journey and understand that every journey is unique therefore personalising our service offering to you. Working in cooperation provides services to business owners, dealer groups, institutions (banks/insurance companies), fund managers and consultants.
M&A trends in accounting and financial planning practices
A quick snap shot by Paul Tynan, CEO Connect Financial Service Brokers:
- The Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry as well as the establishment of the Financial Adviser Standards and Ethics Authority (FASEA) has seen an increase in the number of baby boomer planners reviewing and bringing forward their succession plans.
- Banks have tighten their borrowing guidelines around providing finance to purchase Financial Planning and Accounting businesses.
- Nationally there are still more buyers than sellers for accounting and financial planning businesses – a trend that has been consistent for the past five years.
- Within the financial planning sector the overabundance of buyers for financial planning businesses is due to the structure of the financial advice sector where six very large institutions control 85% of licensees.
- Recently Connect Financial Service Brokers (Connect) has seen a spike in enquiries from planners looking to purchase books of clients outside of their institutions because of the pricing and quality of internal books.
- Demand has, and continues to be very strong for financial planning businesses, prices have remained stable with one very marked difference – due diligence has increased substantially with prospective buyers undertaking rigorous analysis of potential acquisitions compliance framework, office systems, staff and business compatibility.
- Within the accounting sector there are many potential sellers of accounting businesses. However the accountant owners lack the level of confidence and knowledge when initiating the sale or merger process.
- Over recent months, Connect has been approached by a number of accounting businesses seeking to expand their client offering with financial planning. This trend is on the increase and expect to see a marked upsurge in accounting and financial planning advice disciplines merging under a professional holistic advice firm structure.
The steps needed for a successful outcome are simple – seek professional guidance, do your research and be patient making sure the cultural fit is the key ingredient.
CURRENT MARKETPLACE MULTIPLES
*Please note there are a number of factors that can reduce a business’s value; some of these factors include:
- key person risk
- age of clients
- regional location
- poor compliance
- minority interest
Current Recurring Revenue Multiples
Generally the majority of Accounting and Financial Service businesses that have revenue less than $1,000,000 are valued on a recurring revenue basis. An indication of the recurring revenue multiples based on recently completed sales are as follows:
|Accounting||0.7 – 1.1|
|Financial Planning (fee for service)||2.4 – 3.0|
|Financial Planning Books (C & D clients)||2.0 – 2.5|
|Risk||2.5 – 3.1|
|SMSF Advice||2.5 – 2.8|
|Income Stream||2.0 – 2.5|
|Accumulation||2.2 – 2.8|
|Corporate Super||0.3 – 0.5|
|Mortgage||1.0 – 2.0|
|General Insurance||2.0 – 3.0|
Current Earnings Before Interest Tax (EBIT) Multiples
Generally the majority of Accounting and Financial Service businesses that have revenue in excess of $1,000,000 are valued on an earnings before interest tax (EBIT) basis. An indication of the EBIT multiples based on recently completed sales are as follows:
|Type of Business||Multiple|
|Accounting||3.0 – 4.5|
|Financial Planning (fee for service)||4.5 – 6.0|